Saturday, August 8, 2009

Round 2 begins...

So my insurance broker, my therapist, and I have decided to appeal the denial insurance company number 1 gave me. The reasons they listed for denying me coverage are bogus. To draw the conclusions they did, they would have had to twist my medical records from an ER visit and deny me coverage for an ED NOS dx I got a few years ago. From everything I know, private insurance companies won't acknowledge or pay for NOS diagnoses and on top of that it was the last in my list of Axis I diagnoses. So, theoretically, they can't deny me coverage for a disorder they don't acknowledge as a disorder...... Nevermind the fact I don't really have an eating disorder. It was all related to some major PTSD symptoms I was dealing with. Once those issues were addressed, the eating fixed itself, and hasn't been much of an issue in close to 18 months.

In the meantime, I'm applying to a couple other individual insurance plans with different companies. Who knows if they'll accept me. I'm not so hopeful, but at least I don't feel without option yet.

On that note, I don't expect the first insurance company to ever offer me insurance. It seems having current diagnoses of PTSD and DID will be enough for them to deny me coverage - nevermind the fact that I'm not asking for mental health coverage, just physical health coverage. Mostly, it's more if they're going to deny me coverage, then they need to have valid reasons. So, creating more work for them and being a pain in their side for a short period of time feels like some sort of weird justice on my part.

I know. It's taking my frustrations out on the wrong people and not on the real root of the problem. Since that is impossible, this seems the best we can do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment